For many attorneys, two of the most difficult Atticus Marketing Assets to develop are Asset #5 The Laser Talk and Asset #6 Marketing Stories. Many attorneys are simply not comfortable talking about themselves, what they do, and how they help others. But being able to talk about your strengths in a genuine and authentic way is one of the most effective marketing tools you can have in your took kit. And there are simple ways to begin to develop these skills.
In her book, BRAG! The Art of Tooting Your Own Horn Without Blowing It, Peggy Klaus provides a number of strategies and exercises to help you develop your “braggables.” The book is a fun and entertaining read.
Get started on your Laser Talk and Marketing Stories by identifying your “braggables.” Here are Klaus’s “Take 12” Self-Evaluation questions – tweaked for the practice of law.
1. What would you and others say are five of your personality pluses?
2. What are the ten most interesting things that you have done or that have happened to you in your practice?
3. Why do you practice in the area of law that you do?
4. What do you love about the practice?
5. How does your practice use your talents, and what are you working on right now that best showcases them?
6. What career successes are you most proud of?
7. What new skills have you learned in the last year?
8. What obstacles have you overcome, both personally and professionally, to get where you are today, and what essential lessons have you learned from your mistakes?
9. What did you gain from your law school experience?
10. What professional organizations are you associated with and why?
11. How do you spend your time away from the office?
12. In what way are you making a difference in people’s lives?
That should get you started on crafting a great Laser Talk and some memorable Marketing Stories. Have fun, and get bragging!